Friday, January 6, 2012

REAL Homeschool Spanish

Photobucket

One of the areas I feel least confident in as a homeschooling parent is foreign language. I had two years of high school Spanish, but honestly, I just learned what I had to for the test. Plus that was ***** years ago. If you don't use it, you lose it. I was able to teach my Dad a funny line or two, and know just enough words to impress my sheltered children.

Because of this, I know that I will lean heavily on solid foreign language curriculum throughout school. Whatever my children learn, I will need to learn along side them.
R.E.A.L Homeschool Spanish, by Dr. Karen Williamson-Coria, is designed to teach Spanish to the whole family. The goal is to allow the parent to learn alongside the child. Created for use with multiple ages, the curriculum provides a flexible framework for foreign language learning.

Homeschool Spanish teaches practical Spanish vocabulary and language skills. The goal of the program is to enable you to incorporate Spanish throughout your day, with “Home Educator Tips” and “Ideas” to use Spanish in an immersion environment.  It is fun to point out words and phrases as we are about our day. And the kids always giggle when their Dad doesn't understand what they have said. And that gives them a chance to explain, which further solidifies their learning.

The unit lessons are made up of vocabulary clusters and phrases. There are a total of 33 vocabulary clusters and 15 sections of ideas (3-4 pages each). There are fun and practical ideas for incorporating Spanish into your day.

The company’s website has an excellent selection of online resources, including puzzles, games, songs, recipes, videos, history and culture, and much more. The activity sheets for each lesson make learning and reviewing the vocabulary and grammar fun. This, combined with the practical vocabulary and language selections of the lessons creates a great mix for learning the language.

Pronunciation is always difficult. How are we supposed to know how a different language is actually said?! The audio files were difficult for us. The lists were said very quickly, and it was hard sometimes to really understand exactly what was being said.  But if you have a little background in Spanish, I think you would be okay.

I have found that I struggle with downloaded curriculum.  I just need a book in front of me. But I don't know that I would spend the extra money for the hard copy.
Homeschool Spanish is available as a download or hard copy purchase:
You can purchase the program and read more about all it has to offer here.
You can also read more reviews at the TOS Homeschool Crew blog.





Disclosure: I received the download package of Homeschool Spanish for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received, and the opinions expressed are my own.

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment