Thursday, January 19, 2012

The boy.

I know I have written about Malcolm often. I promise it's not a favorite thing. I will however admit it is a first born thing. There is such a learning curve with him. There are always new firsts, often I am scrambling to evaluate, and to top it off, he is a boy. And that just overwhelms me at times. So I share things about him here. It helps me process, and gives someone the chance to offer me some sound advice. Or at least commiserate with me.

This is the boy I call my Man Child. Malcolm is 13 years old, and already far taller than me. He was hoping to be taller than his father by the new year, but just made it to the same height. His feet look like they belong to a full grown man, but he still has that boyish smile. He enjoys having younger siblings because that means he can still watch cartoons without embarrassment, and at the same time, raids his Grandfather's library of history and science books. These are those awkward years of the in between. And mostly, he is handling it all with grace and dignity. There are moments, however, that the dam breaks and the emotions run raw. It is in those times I am so lost.

So, we started a blog for him. He isn't a feeling kind of guy. He won't spill his guts. But it is a place for him to understand himself. For now, he is writing most of his school essays there. Giving some opinions on art. And the goal is for him to begin growing. As a writer, as a person. Being able to fit into those big shoes. To understand himself, and the people around him. So join the Son of the Preacher Man. It is a hard journey growing up, and he is just beginning. And join this Momma in prayer. For him, and for herself!

Beth

5 comments:

  1. Great job, Mom!

    Visiting from M.O.B. - Let's Hear it for the Boys! My boys are 13 and 15, so I am right there with you. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really need to get the Malcolms together, because at a glance, that looks like Annie's Malcolm. At least, I see some similarities. Love to all my OK Busters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -sigh- I know how you feel. I have a 14 yr old girl and while most days she's perfectly fine, it's the days when she has an emotional flare up that has me baffled as well. We just gotta keep praying for and loving our teens and I'm sure we'll make it through without too many scars! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea for your boy and I love the name- "son of a preacher man" perfect! We've gotta get my son's blog up and running again- it's "a boy's eye view"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you!! Our oldest son is not the first born, but he is the first boy...and sometimes it can be challenging and heartbreaking at the same time. He is 14 and knows all and then some!! What a great way to get your son writing. It may be too late to start the older one.....but maybe a great idea for our other son. He is all about reading and writing....

    ReplyDelete