Thursday, July 28, 2011

Let's hear it for the boys!!

Welcome to my blog!  Today is the first ever Blog Mom Blog Hop, and we have visitors here today.  Hopefully, you won't feel like a visitor by the end of the post.

Let's start at the top.  This is my husband, Heath.  He pastors a small country church and is starting back to school working on his Masters.  He is the biggest boy in our home, head wrestler, and organizer extraordinaire. He love to read anything by R.C. Sproul, Charles Spurgeon, and John Piper.


Our oldest son, Malcolm, will be 13 in about a month.  I call him my man child. He is already taller than me, almost has caught is Dad.  There are often times I mistake his voice for Heath, and I just can't comprehend where my baby boy went.  He loves ALL books. He was reading Dr. Seuss by the age of 3, so Hop on Pop is one of his favorites. As is anything historical, biblical, and scientific. Sherlock Holmes is his most read series, but R.M. Ballentyne comes in as a close second.  He also loves most classical books. His Kindle is filled with them. It's just a bonus that his favorites were free.


Our next son, Daniel, is 10.  He is artistic, creative, and a dreamer.  He laughs at almost everything.  There are piles and piles of drawings, stories, and plays the child has created.  And don't get me started on the Webkinz. He is obsessed.  He is also an avid reader.  Among his favorites are Peter and the Starcatchers series, Dr. Dolittle, and our set of Animal wildlife encyclopedias.  He also loves reading the National Geographic magazines (after I have approved them), and NatGeo kids.


Then we come to Heath Jr.  He will be 8 in a month and answers to Heathie most of the time or Heath-er. It just made it easier around the house.  He is all things sports, rough housing, and outdoorsy.  He's also our crier.  Makes for an odd mix.  He spent the first 3 weeks of his life in the NICU, but you would never know that now unless we tell you.  He loves adventure stories.  The Boxcar Children is his favorite series, as well as The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe series.  He has also enjoyed The Little House on the Prairie books, and Classics for Children. Wind and the Willows being the best one, in his opinion.


Son number four is Terry.  Terry is five, and we are paying for his Daddy's raising with this one!  He is our comedian, takes everything apart to see how it works, and all around BOY.  He LOVES to be read to, and can't wait to read all on his own.  Dr. Seuss is his favorite author. He just can't stop laughing at the stories.  He also loves The Little Critter books. I often find him sitting on the couch looking through The Jesus Story Bible.  He says if "the book has Jesus in it, you need to sit down and look at it".


Our last boy, Anderson, is two.  He is the mischievous one. Always into something, always covered in his recent mess.  He loves his family, and is being VERY verbal lately.  He "reads" often, just like all his older brothers.  Sandra Boynton books are a fave, with Snuggle Puppy being at the top of that list.  The Dreamy, Fishy, Happy Bible Storybook is a must read, as well as I Wish I Were A Mouse.


We also have three girls. Jeffie Jean, Paulee Rea, and Georgia Beth. They are 11, 4, and two weeks shy of one, respectively.  They have lists of books they love as well.  But that is for another post.


And then of course, there is me, Beth.  I stay home to take care of this crew.  We laugh, play, fuss, and fight just like any other family.  I love to sew, cook, read, and craft.  You will find any number of these things written about here on the blog.  I would add to the boys' list or re-emphasize these books:


Rascal
Classics (like Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Red Badge of Courage, etc)
Sandra Boynton books (hilarious AND most are actually songs you can listen to)
The Coral Reef (or any R.M. Ballentyne book)
Jotham's Journey (book for advent. Our entire family stays riveted!)


Look around the blog, and enjoy your stay!

Beth

7 comments:

  1. I jumped over from the MOB BlogHop. It's great to meet you! Your family looks like so much fun. I love your descriptions of your boys. (I have 4.) You're from Oklahoma? We used to live in Tulsa - two of the boys were born there.

    Come over and see me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from MOB Society--what a house full of adventure you must have every day! :) Isn't it amazing how they're all different and all so precious just the same? My boys can't read yet, but we've started using the classics as read-alouds and my serious one (he's 4.5) really loves hearing the Jungle Book and Swiss Family Robinson and we're hoping to get to Treasure Island by the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family LOVED Jotham's Journey as well as Bartholemew's Passage and Tabitha's Travels! In fact we'll be starting them again this year for my younger boys to join in. (We read them before adopting them.) Visiting from the MOB blog hop. Nice to "meet" you and enjoyed reading a little about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness you have a houseful! With one sister and six brothers I come from a large family so I understand the chaos and the joy it is to be blessed by such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable family! Stopping by from the Mom Blog Hop! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet family! We are doing the blog hop. I have 4 boys. Come over and see us at www.youngmightymenofgod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from the MOB society. It is great to meet your family. What a blessing to have such a wonderful large family. We are busy with our 2 boys right now so I can only imagine the fun you all have together.
    Many blessings
    Meaghan
    http://raisingourfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete